Jarren Wallace's Digital Portfolio
Rhetorical Analysis

Rhetorical Analysis

So boom here’s a little back story on this one before y’all go read into this text cause this one was something to see. So boom in this case I had to challenge the social reading norms that are occurring. SO I chose the top go about this in a way that I fully brought out the challenges. Viewer discretion is advised hope y’all enjoy this reading cause it’s most defiantly going to be an interesting one. There’s some meme action as well to cap it all off. enjoy.

Hey wassup bronem you ready for class my boy?? Yea bro what’s the word we out gang…bet. Man we done had our days man all of us done grown up now man just look at us we all in college now bro. I looked over at my boys Julian,John,Nate,Eli,Averrion…we all grown up mann just look at us. “Yo bro remember when my teacher kept getting mad about the way I was speaking during class and shorty got mad about the “language” I was using in her class?” Broo yes bro,said Julian. “Put me on gang what happened” said Eli. Shit bro let me put you on to game real quick…aii so boom we in 7th grade chillin and we in Ms.Kordonis writing class. So she had told us to get creative in our writing and for us to be ourselves in our first piece of writing…Soo I was being myself in this story and to be truly honest I was being myself I was being true as hell like the truest that true can get in terms of writing. So I finish my lil page of whatever and turn it in now mind you we still ain’t got them chromebooks working like we was supposed so we still doing shit on paper. So boom I turn my paper in confident as hell that I got a 100 on that paper cause I deadass spent mad time on that paper I was not playing when it came to that writing grade cause I needed mine…word. So boom I’m sitting there going through the motion as the week continues because I knew we got them papers back at the end of the week. So friday comes up and I walk into school happy as hell I done woke up on time i was able to get breakfast which was rare back in the days cause we was always rushing our asses to make sure we at school by 7:45 but anywho. I get through day me and Julian OFC being asswholes making jokes at townhall but we finally get to the last class of the day. “Speed it up my Ni**a we got shit to do” said Eli (mid story…How rude)…But nah I finally get to class and im literally rubbing my hands together waiting to get my paper back…So I get my paper back and shorty had the nerve to give me a fuckin ZERO bro A ZEROO my Ni**a. Now lemme tell you what she said..This paper was inappropriate and the language in this paper should not be used in school…Now mind you I ain’t even curse in the paper cause im in 7th grade bruv…shit ain’t cross my mind she told me be myself and I was myself I used a little bit of Slang every here and there but shorty literally told me to be myself and I was myself. I GOT A ZERO for being myself. So boom I’m going through the revisions cause shorty just absoulty fucked My writing grade in Jupiter ED so now I’m looking at the comments and theres red marks all over this paper talking about some “your writing needs to be more in line with what we learn in school and the way that we talk because that’s not what you were taught in english class” and to be fairly honest she was somewhat right Thats NOT what I was taught buttt I wasn’t finna sit here and write an essay that’s telling me to be creative and sound like my boy Shakespear…Nah ain’t no way in hell. But all In all y’all she made me really go back and rewrite this WHOLE essay so that It can be presented in front of the class than when the dust finally settled shen hit me with the “I didn’t want the slang used in the text to be a bad influence…” Yet the majority of the kids in the room were black they would have most definitely understood me as a woman… “Damn bro shit cray ain’t it” Said Eli…On my soul gang On my soul. 

*Grammerly is currently hurting after I wrote this LoL.. 

When I wrote this I had the traditional writing norms in mind. I wanted to argue that writing can still be good and valuable even when it doesn’t align with traditional writing norms. I wanted to convey that good writing comes from the heart and should be measured by what people think is “correct”. When writing this I had everyone who experienced the same that I did in mind. The overall African American community. Yea we speak different, we spell different, and we write differently. We shouldn’t be told that our way of literature and language is incorrect just based on what others think. I chose to write a short story and the reason that I did this was because I really wanted my writing to embody myself and when it’s read I really want the reader to understand that the story is from the heart. I also felt that what better choice than to write about a time that my writing was shunned upon because it was seen as not “correct” and was seen as inappropriate for school. The two rhetorical strategies that I had chosen to implement through the argument in this text was Pathos and Lagos. The reason that I had chosen to implement Pathos in though my text was because of the fact that Pathos is a rhetorical strategy that aligns with emotion. Throughout  the text there are many points where I felt that the reader should really feel that emotion because of the fact that I wanted my emotions at the time to really be known. I also wanted to show my transition in emotions as I had gone from feeling confident about my writing to feeling upset about my score on the assignment and the reasoning behind why I had recede that score. I really wanted the reader and anyone that’s reading to feel that Raw emotion but I also had wanted that raw emotion to be felt in a way that I myself would typically express it in my day-to-day life if that situation had ever occurred again. I also wanted my reading to be relatable specifically to the African American community because when the reading is more relatable, I feel it serves a higher purpose than just simply being a piece of text. That’s the reason that I had included curse words, slang, and different types of dialogue. I wanted someone to read it and hear me and my friends’ conversation playout in their head as they continued to progress through the text. I think that this is one of the biggest issues when having to conform to overall writing norms is the fact that when being forced to conform I feel that it takes away from the overall emotional appeal of the story which in turn makes it not fun to write but then it can often also be boring to read. I also implemented Lagos through my text because to many teachers and higher ups in the educational field this piece of writing is not logical by any means just because of the fact that it’s not a more “formal” piece of writing. Yet to us in the community this piece of writing is perfectly logical and perfectly understood based on the situation that took place within the text. I didn’t want to sit here and use words like “discouraged” to show how I was feeling because I felt a completely different emotion from that…I didn’t want to sit there and have this over sophisticated piece of text when it came to my emotions because at the end of the day it was something that I PERSONALLY had to go through that I had to deal with. In final thoughts I really wanted this piece of writing not to define me who I am as a person but to really just be overall understood by everyone even though it goes completely against what people typically viewed as “correct”.  

Who teachers think we are when we write Traditional english…

Their reaction after we be ourselves in our writing.

For this text I took a little different approach on the situation. Don’t get me wrong we are still going against traditional reading norms, yet this time we gonna poke fun at them. Why? Because we absolutely have the freedom to do so…My intended audience in this case is the teachers in elementary,middle, and high schools that essentially force those traditional literature and language norms in their classrooms. Also to the young kids that want to get creative in their writing and push that writing norm forced upon them.  In this case I choose to do a meme because I wanted it to be more understanding and more appealing to the youth. I wanted the youth to look at this and understand that while it may be funny on the outside…that there is a deeper meaning behind it. I really wanted the younger individuals to grasp what I mean, but not have to sit there and analyze it too deeply. When playing and putting this meme together I chose to include Pathos and Ethos within it. The reason I chose to incorporate pathos within this meme is because when it’s being looked at I wanted to really unlock the emotional portion with all the funny pictures because I know that’s kind of what would be able to get the younger mind going. If I just sat there and put the words that I put…they would literally have no emotional appeal and or meaning behind them whatsoever. So with the implementation of these pictures I was using them as somewhat of a “hook” for my intended audience because I know like once we really unlock that funny emotion and then explain what’s going on and the reason behind it then that information would be retained far better than just words on a paper. I had also chosen to include Ethos within this meme. The reason I chose to include Ethos was because of the fact that I wanted my intended audience of the teachers to really look at the meme and question whether or not what they’re doing is ethical. I wanted those higher up in the educational field to really look at this meme and sit back in their chair and think “damn…Is that really all we,ve been doing all these years?”…The short answer for that question is Yes…Hell yes. In final thought I really created this meme to show the younger kids that it’s okay to challenge the language and literacy norms and that it’s okay if they want to get creative in their writing simply because of the fact that being creative in your writing will not only help you become a better writer but will also make you an overall more creative individual and that will open up an overall band of things that you may not have even thought about before.